You’ve already seen our master bath, our kitchen, our hallway, our guest room, and even part of our deck…but I haven’t shared our living room yet (at least not fully)! Well, I was waiting for the living room to be done before I shared, until I came to the realization that it will never be “done”. There will always be things to change, things to add…and then once we get sick of it we’ll do it all over again (hopefully, not anytime soon, because this sh*t is expensive). So, here we are!
We’ve had the basics in place for some time, and even after buying all of the furniture and throwing in a few accessories from our previous places (I’ve linked to all of our furniture below), it still feels like something is missing. It’s got a touch of cozy, but there is definitely more to be had…and it’s because there key things are not in the picture.
SHOP OUR LIVING ROOM[show_shopthepost_widget id=”2987923″]
DISCLAIMER – I shot this look in the freezing cold, so I’m trying REALLY hard to look normal in these photos. You can see the struggle in my eyes. #fightingthearcticwind
You probably know by now that I’m not the girliest girl. I was a huge tomboy up until sophmore year of high school. I basically lived in hoodies, sneakers and jeans until age 16, which is about the time I started working at Nordstrom (fun fact – I worked at Nordy’s for 5 years part time throughout high school & college!). Thank GOD I got the job at Nordstrom – that gig is what sparked my love for fashion…AND of course, shopping.
With that said, I generally steer clear of feminine pieces because they don’t suit me. However, I had this strong urge to purchase a pleated skirt (which is basically as girly as it gets). I had a very specific image in my head…jewel toned, metallic. When I came across this emerald pleated skirt doing my Black Friday shopping, I was stoked. It was EXACTLY what I’d been looking for. Now, the question…how to wear a pleated skirt and stay true to my style? I wanted to steer clear of being too feminine, and I didn’t want to pair it with something simple to be safe, because…well, I didn’t want to look basic! Well, I think I figured out how to wear a pleated skirt and NOT look basic.
The first Monday Mindfulness post of the year! And, as many of us are working hard on keeping our resolutions, it couldn’t come at a better time. After doing some reflection on what the next year looks like for my little blog, I decided I was going to change up the format of my Monday Mindfulness posts. Instead of sharing inspiring articles from around the web, I’m going to share personal experiences. It could be something that happened that changed my perspective, a new thing I’ve tried, a podcast, song, movie that inspired me. Instead of reading articles about wellness & mindfulness, I’m actually going to DO something about it! To start things off, I started meditating.
My initial struggle was where do I even BEGIN? I can barely get through a yoga class, how can I possibly get myself to sit down and commit to meditating every day?! We all say we’re too busy, and I felt the same way. I was also unsure about what exactly I was supposed to do. Do I just sit there and breathe deeply? #clueless. That’s why I decided to download Simple Habit, a meditation app “for busy people”. I figured, well, if all I need to do is put my headphones on and press play, it can’t be that bad?
The app has a ton of free guided meditations available, so I dug into the starter series, which required 5 minutes a day. I thought I’d benefit most from meditating in the AM, since I typically wake up and check my email immediately. That’s usually about the time the stress kicks in, as I mentally go through all the things I need to tackle that day. Instead of going straight to my inbox, I started my day with a five minute meditation…and here’s what happened.
I realized I’m not very good at New year’s resolutions – is anyone, though? I’m afraid to officially set resolutions, because then I feel like I’m “officially” setting myself up for failure. That’s why, this year, instead of focusing on things I’m going to do, I’m going to make a list of things I’m NOT going to do anymore. Seems easier to not do something, doesn’t it? Maybe I’m crazy, but it’s all about perception!
Here are a few things I’m trying to avoid this year –
Well, here’s my last post of 2017. Hard to believe this year is coming to an end! It’s been a roller coaster between settling into our new home, our various trips (including starting the new year in LA, and our trips to San Diego, Koufonissi, Naxos, Paris), my first NYFW, turning 30!, making new friends & friend break-ups, and so many little things along the way.
This blog will be 3 years old in February! I had no idea that a little side project would turn into a 3 year (& going) stint, & that I’d still love sharing more than ever. I can’t wait to see what 2018 will bring – one of my goals is to post more, share more, and continue to try new things! I can’t tell you how much I appreciate you following along & reading. If it wasn’t for you, I would have given this up ages ago…so thank you for keeping me inspired, motivated & comfortable in putting myself out there. It can be a scary thing!
I’m ending the year with my December 10 – here are ten things I’m loving lately to help you get past your post-holiday blues & new year’s jitters. Enjoy & happy new year!
Well hello there! Yes, I’m still alive…just extremely out of touch! It’s been a whirlwind of a week (or month really), and I’m glad the craziness is dying down. The day after Christmas, we flew out to NYC where we’ll be for the next week, hitting up our favorite spots. We’re crashing with our friends in Chelsea until the 1st, so bringing in the new year New York style! I’m still finalizing my New Year’s outfit – why is it so stressful every year?! I wait last minute every. single. time. So far, I’ve got a vintage purple velvet midi dress (it’s my aunt’s from the early 80s). I’m still on the hunt for glam earrings – I’ve had my eye on these bad boys, but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. For those of you still stewing on your New Year’s outfits, I’ve pulled together 25 pieces you can rock on NYE. Together, separate…it can all work. Be prepared for lots of sequins, metallics, velvet, and sheerness.
PS – a few tips as you work through your New Year’s resolutions, and how you can keep yourself motivated to work out post-holiday (because I know I need to hit the gym HARD next week)!
December has been one big hangover for me. Anyone feel me? I’m ready to get under a blanket and fully veg this weekend. I still have a couple of last minute gifts to pick up (if you’re still shopping, check out my gift guides!). Hopefully, you’ll have some time to lay low over the next few days. I know I need to! If you’re in the baking mood, try making these pretty holiday cookies (or these Christmas-themed ones!)
A few weeks back, I woke up in the middle of the night with an urge to scratch my neck. It was unbearably itchy! I initially thought I had developed a rash of some sort (I’ve got some weird allergies that kick in once in a while), but quickly realized that it’s because my skin was CRAZY dry. How did this happen so suddenly?! I definitely had not been on my full winter skincare routine, mainly because the temps just dropped a couple of weeks ago and I thought I was in the clear. Well, that sh*t snuck up on me, and fast.
I’ve been on the mend – it’s taking time for the dry patches to heal completely, but it’s getting there. One of my winter skin tips is heaving up on hydrating beauty products. I’ve been using three products on repeat to help rejuvenate my current skin situation.
CONFESSION. I can’t keep up with life lately. So overwhelmed! Holiday parties, birthday parties, house guests…it’s all happening at once and I feel like there just isn’t.enough.time. The one thing that helps me get through the craziness? The excitement of putting together holiday outfits. I’m usually not one to get all decked out, it’s not my thing. However, there IS something about the holidays that gets me in the mood to get, you know, a little festive. I’m not talking going full blown sequins head to toe (although, that sounds kind of amazing too), but rather adding subtle festive details to an otherwise everyday look. Here are four easy ways to make any outfit a holiday outfit –
After a little delay, they’re finally here! My short & sweet holiday gift ideas, for him and for her. Most of these are under $100 (only a couple exceed that amount!). I’ve featured a few items here that were also included in my October and November Tens. They’re just too good – I had to share them again.
- A Chic Coin Necklace ($77) – I particularly love this one by Cinco stores (I also like this one).
- Glossier’s Cloud Paint ($55) – I just tried Cloud Paint for the first time recently and became instantly hooked. Now they’re offering a quad pack so you can gift all of the colors! She’ll be able to mix & match the different colors, so none of them will go to waste. I’m a big fan of their Boy Brow too.
- Faux Fur Grab Bag ($40) – I’ve been eying this bag for some time now, the colors are all gorg.
- Oversized Wool Scarf ($48) – I own this one and have been wearing it on repeat.
- HiEleven Mini Flap Handbag ($89) – A simple, beautiful, handbag at a great price.
- Function of Beauty Shampoo & Conditioner ($36) – I’ve been using this stuff for almost two years now, and it’s just as cool as it sounds. Shampoo & conditioner made just for her & her hair needs. It’s all customized!
- Stylish Wireless Headphones ($99) – Adore these headphones from Sudio Sweden! They’re chic and functional. My first pair of wireless headphones & I’m never going back. Get 15% off with code CUDDLEPILL at checkout!
- Group Fitness Classes w/ ClassPass (gift card) – I’ve been on ClassPass a few years now and can’t get enough! January is just around the corner, so this gift is perfect for her New Year’s resolutions come into play.
- Metallic Lipstick ($24) – Yeah, I’m going on about this AGAIN. It looks good on everyone, trust me.
- Sneaker-like house slippers ($150) – Because every man needs a pair of these Time slippers in their life…how cool are they?!
- Travel-sized Quirkle ($15) – It’s a board game, it’s travel-sized, and he’ll love it. It’s one of our favorites!
- Google Home Mini (now $29!) – A cutesy version of Google’s home assistant.
- Sous Vide ($199 – use code HOLIDAY to get $20 off) – I decided sous vide cooking is worth it after all. An easy way he can nail his dish every. single. time.
- Comfy Belts from Beltology – Leo bought one of these recently and hasn’t stopped raving about it.
- Unlimited movies w/ MoviePass ($9.95/month) – For the movie lover! He can go to the movies as much as his heart desires for less than $10 a month. Their gifts include 3, 6, or 12 month subscriptions.
- Wool Loungers by AllBird ($95) – The comfiest pair of shoes he’ll ever own.
- TakeCareOf Customized Vitamins (gift card) – Vitamins customized just for him! You can gift as much as you want, and it includes a personalized message in their daily vitamin pack.
- Nintendo Switch ($299) – The gamer’s dream. A console that can be played on a screen, transported wherever his heart desires…and best of all, it’s Nintendo (think the old school Nintendo games he loves brought back to life).