I can’t believe it’s already October! Where has this year gone? It’s officially fall…which is great because I love fall…but it also means I’m turning 30 soon. WOAH. That’s kind of a big deal right? A month from now, I’ll be going on three decades of life. Crazy to think about.
I remember when I was younger, people would say after you pass a certain age, the years just FLY by. The older you get, the faster time goes. I catch myself saying things like “oh, 15 years ago I went to…”. WHAT?! 15 years ago now refers to a time when I was a coherent & “almost” responsible adult…it’s no longer referencing a moment in time where my biggest concern in life was when the next I Love Lucy marathon would air (yes, I was into I Love Lucy, and no I’m not ashamed of it). How times change.
Surprisingly enough…I feel alright about it. Six months ago I was in panic mode, but now I’m okay. I thought about why I would be afraid/sad to turn 30, and really, I’m quite happy with where I’m at in life. In fact, I’ve never felt so comfortable in my own skin, and it’s a good feeling. So, what’s the deal? There’s nothing to be afraid of. I’m ready to embrace 30 people. BRING IT.
The one learning I’ll take with me into this new decade of life is to spend more time doings things I love, and with loved ones. I suppose this requires being more “mindful” in how I’m spending my time and who I’m spending it with. Time is a limited resource, after all. You realize this at almost 30 (hopefully even before!).
Anywayyy, I’m sure I’ll have much more to share once I actually DO turn 30. In the meantime, I’m going to enjoy the last few weeks of being a “twenty-something”. This includes indulging in pumpkin squares, eating lots of candy corn & doing all of the other fall things I love (I’ll be sharing my fall bucket list soon!).
Here are some tidbits from around the web that got my thinking this month – what have you been reading?
- I can’t even get myself to try mediation, let alone actually set aside time for it. That’s why when I heard about the Simple Habit app (it was on Shark Tank recently!), I decided to give it a try. Their tagline is “the best mediation app for busy people”. Who doesn’t fall into this category?! Once you download, it asks what your goals are. I’m hoping in improve my focus (I need to go 5 minutes without checking my phone, it’s bad), and learn the basics of meditating. Let’s see how this goes!
- I’ve always been a fan of sitting in silence. If I’m home alone (Leo always has music playing), I can sit hours in silence with no TV or music on. It helps me refresh and tune out all of the noise..and apparently, 2 minutes of silence a day can change your life. (vogue.com)
- Do you ever get the Sunday blues? I’m so guilty of this. I really loved this read on how the Sunday blues can mean much more than you think…and why you shouldn’t ignore them. (bookoflife.org)
- How cool are these tee shirts? I so need one of these #rational. (247perspective.com)
- Question of the month – what would you do with your time if you only had to work 4 hours a week? I’d exercise more, travel more, read more, cook more, take on new hobbies…I could keep going! (becauseimaddicted.net)