I can’t believe it’s already April! I’ve been in good spirits the last few days because we had a weekend of beautiful weather here, after two weeks of nonstop rain. It’s amazing how much weather can impact your mood and outlook. The gloomy days were really getting to me, and I found myself being negative and just not motivated. I knew it was happening, and I felt like I couldn’t get myself out of that funk. I’m glad I got a taste of warmer weather…I’m starting to feel like myself again!
The last month or two, I’ve tried to become more mindful of my emotions, and what triggers both negative & positive emotions for me. I know for a fact that the weather was one thing that was bringing me down. Knowing this was happening, I tried to do more of what makes me happy. Working out, cooking, spending time friends & family. I realized that something as small as hearing an old song that brought me back to a happy place could change my day. I know it sounds trivial, but it’s so true!
I’m also trying to focus on giving off positive vibes and surrounding myself with those who do the same. I realized how important it is be around people that make me happy. Now that I’m older & wiser, it’s much easier for me to identify unhealthy relationships in my life. I’m consciously spending more time around those who make me a better person, and also (for the first time in a long time) letting new people in. Here are a few articles around the web that inspired me the last month –
- On those gloomy days where I felt like I was just operating on autopilot, this article helped me carve out time at the office to reconnect with me. (hbr.org)
- Social media doesn’t always share the whole story. Even though I’m not a mother, this post moved me (especially the comments!). It applies to so many things in life outside of motherhood. I love the quote Jo shared – “A pleasure may look very minor – eating a fig, having a bath, whispering in bed in the dark, talking to a grandparent, or scanning through old photos of when you were a child – and yet be anything but: if properly grasped and elaborated upon, these sort of activities may be among the most moving and satisfying we can have.” (cupofjo.com)
- 30 quotes to inspire you to make the most of every moment. One that resonated with me the most -“All negativity is caused by an accumulation of psychological time and denial of the present. Unease, anxiety, tension, stress, worry – all forms of fear – are caused by too much future, and
not enough presence. Guilt, regret, resentment, grievances, sadness, bitterness, and all forms
of nonforgiveness are caused by too much past, and not enough presence.” (hackspirit.com)
- Kindness is more powerful than you think. Even though this article speaks to current political issues, it also applies to just life in general. Doing something kind for someone else makes you happier. Isn’t that something? (mashable.com).
- As I’m trying to improve my life by growing healthy relationships (& avoiding toxic ones), this post spoke to me. There are simple things we can do to improve our lives outside of our relationships too, like not staring at our devices right before bed (I’m a huge offender of this!). (universeinsider.org)