I was going through old photos at my mom’s this weekend, and I think it’s safe to say that it’s officially one of my favorite pastimes. My dad’s a photographer, so we have boxes & boxes of photographs…from my parents engagement photos, baptisms, family vacations, birthday parties to simple moments like my brother playing on our swing set. I love seeing photos of us as kids, but I particularly love seeing photos my parents & grandparents. It’s such a strange thing to see pics of my parents when they were my age – I wonder what they were thinking, what challenges they were facing, what dreams they were aspiring towards. Life is a crazy thing.
Father’s Day tends to be a more emotional holiday for me. I’ve always been close with my mom, but my dad and I have had our ups and downs over the years. Maybe it’s because we’re weirdly alike, or that we’re both stubborn and refuse to see things from the other’s perspective. Either way, we’ve always had a different type of relationship, and I don’t get to see him as often as I’d like for various reasons. I also lost my grandfather a couple of years ago – the first time I ever lost a family member that close. I feel very lucky to have grown up with a grandfather, as I know many people aren’t able to experience that, and I have some guilt about not appreciating the time I had with him as much as I could have.
With all that said, I try to make the most out of every Father’s Day and spend some quality time with Dad. I’ve realized the importance of telling loved ones how much I care and spending time with them because you just never know how much time you have.
On a lighter note – quality time is the best gift you can give, but an actual gift is a always a nice little bonus. I put together a quick list of the Father’s Day gifts that are top of mind, and will put a smile on Dad’s face (no guarantees, but I think you’ll get something out of him!).
I’ve made some progress on my gift shopping, which is a relief! Don’t feel nearly as stressed now that I have the list down to a few people. Today is the last day (in most cases) to get standard shipping by Christmas, so let’s get on those last minute orders tonight!
For women’s gifts, I try to stick with the basics when it comes to shoes & clothing, and splurge on beauty products knowing they’d never purchase those items for themselves. I’ve curated my favorite gift items of the moment for those of you who still have a few special women left on your shopping list! Shop the items below.
1. I received this candle as a birthday gift, and it’s the BEST candle I’ve ever owned. The smell is beautiful and just strong enough to fill the room but not overwhelming.
3. For the ladies with a bath tub, this milky bath bar is the formula for softer skin. We all could use hydration in the winter months.
4. It’s virtually impossible to find a pair of Levi’s that fit properly – this pair fits like a glove and the patchwork with the cropped hem couldn’t be more on trend.
5. I’ve had a love affair with Building Block bags for quite some time now. This cylinder bag is the perfect size for every day.
6. This hand treatment will keep her hands nice and soft.
7. You can never go wrong with a pair of sneakers. The blush color of these Common Projects is just gorg.
8. A high quality cutting board will never go unused.
9. This tie choker will elevate any outfit.
If your week looks anything like mine, you’ve been scrambling to pull it together with nearly 75% of your Christmas shopping still pending. Why did I wait so long! All of the sales earlier this month got me caught up in my own shopping…now I have to embrace that holiday spirit and get started on the gifts. Christmas is in less than a week after all.
You’re in luck, because there’s still time to make a few last minute online purchases & get everything in time for Christmas. I’ve curated my favorite gifts for him this year below. Keep an eye out for my lady’s gift guide tomorrow!
PS – Here’s last year’s gift guide for him (figure the more ideas the better, right?)
1. Make his life a little bit easier with the new Google Home.
2.I love the unique look of these slippers, and you’re able to select the color of the lace!
3. The versatility & geometric look of this backpack makes it ultra cool (I also own it & wear it everyday).
4. I’m a sucker for a good Moscow Mule, and this is the best ginger beer I’ve tried.
5. Gift him his best cup of coffee with this pour over coffee maker.
7. Improve the air quality in his home (yes, I know I’m a nerd) with this cool little contraption.
8. These phone cases pull images directly from Google Earth – stunning.
9. Help him share memories with family & friends using a digital photo album that updates in real time.
I don’t exchange birthday gifts with all of my girlfriends, just a special few. However, this doesn’t make my process any easier, because most of these girls I’ve known for years, and I find myself running out of gift ideas. I try to avoid getting the same thing every single year, and I don’t want to be the girl giving the standard Starbuck’s gift card (I hope none of you guys are guilty of this – if so, read on my friends). A good gift doesn’t have to be expensive, just thoughtful. Here are some gifts ideas I find to be unique if you’re ever in a creative rut & need some inspiration.
With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, I’ve been on the lookout for the perfect gift. Valentine’s Day can be tough, especially if you’ve exhausted all of your gift ideas over the holidays. It takes some serious effort to get the creative juices flowing (and the winter weather doesn’t help), so I’ve put together a few items that have caught my eye lately. You won’t disappoint with these gifts (and the pressure is on…).
Christmas is 4 days away, and for those of us who aren’t done with our Christmas shopping, it’s panic mode. It’s tough enough to shop for the ladies, and now there are some very particular men we need to cross off our list and the clock is ticking. Don’t fret, I’ve put together a quick, under $100, holiday gift guide for the special men in our lives that deserve a lil’ sumpin’ sumpin’ – and no, I’m not talking about the beer (although, it couldn’t hurt to bring that along as well).
Every year, without fail, I’m scrambling last minute to scratch the last few people off my holiday gift list. I typically purchase gifts to those closest to me first, as I know them well and have an idea of what they’d like. It’s the rest of the bunch that I struggle with – family friends, coworkers, far relatives. Feeling my pain here? Thought so. Here’s a quick holiday gift guide for the ladies left on your list (bonus – all gifts are under $100).
With Father’s Day just around the corner, I’ve come to the realization that dads are MUCH more difficult to shop for than moms. You can easily resort to spa day or mani/pedis with Mom, but what do you get the man who has everything? I always struggle with getting my dad a gift. He has every cologne you can imagine, and his hobbies are expensive (Photography? Sorry, can’t afford to buy that $500+ Nikon lens). So, what to do? Don’t fret! I’ve found a variety of Father’s Day gifts that will meet the needs of dads with different interests. Also, remember that the best gift is quality time, so make sure to do that too.
1. A personalized cutting board, so he’s constantly reminded that you appreciate his cooking
2. A Kiehl’s starter kit, because we all know Dad doesn’t properly take care of his skin
3. This trendy Fjallraven duffle bag, so he can finally ditch that bag he got as a gift with purchase and hit up the gym with style
4. A Happy Socks gift set, to spice up his sock game
5. A pair of Bose’s Noise Cancelling headphones, because they’re magical (especially for long flights)
7. A personalized apron, so he stays presentable at the next family BBQ
8. An “Age Your Own Whiskey Kit” for dads who love their whiskey
9. Tom Ford’s Noir Extreme, because all dads love the woody stuff
10. Amazon Fire TV, so he can catch up on all of his favorite shows with the click of a button (or voice command)
*This post was sponsored by Fjallraven Canada
Mother’s Day is quickly approaching, and I know from personal experience that finding the perfect gift is not an easy task. Though it is impossible to express the love & appreciation we have for the motherly figures in our lives with just a gift, any of these 10 gifts combined with quality time will show her how much you care.
1. Sabatino Truffle Oil set to elevate her already amazing food
2. A beautiful opal ring, a stone that represents inspiration
3. A relaxation tea kit to help ease her mind on a stressful day
4. Clarsonic Mia face cleansing brush to keep her skin feeling fresh
5. A decorative candle for the house
6. Moroccan Oil hair treatment that will make her hair smell amazing
7. A photo book of a trip you took together
8. Cozy socks she can wear on a lazy Sunday
9. A cookbook to spice up things up in the kitchen
NEWSFLASH: men get Valentine’s day gifts too. I know, it’s a hard concept to grasp, but it is the truth.
If your significant other is as difficult as mine to shop for, then you’ve been under some serious stress lately. We have 3 more days, ladies. After scouring over dozens of websites, I’ve found a few gift ideas that I’m confident will meet picky man standards.